Asthma is a chronic respiratory disorder that can affect people of all ages. In the United States alone, asthma affects about 25 million people and is one of the most common childhood diseases. If you or someone in your family has been diagnosed with asthma, it’s essential to find an experienced specialist who will help manage this condition. This article will provide information on some different types of specialists involved in treating asthma and how they differ from each other so you can decide which type is best for you or your loved one!

Asthma can be a debilitating condition, leaving sufferers gasping for breath at the slightest trigger. When choosing an asthma specialist, you have to think about what type of doctor you need to see. There are many asthma specialists: allergists, pulmonologists, and more types. Here are some asthma specialists to consider that will help in your quest for relief from this chronic illness:


A pulmonary specialist may also be a “lung doctor” or “pulmonologist.” They are a physician with expertise dealing with diseases involving the lungs ̶ both chronic inflammation or infection as well as acute injuries such as from inhaling smoke or chemical fumes. Pulmonologists diagnose asthma ̶ a chronic lung condition that inflames the airways and causes wheezing, coughing, or shortness of breath because they’re swollen from too much mucus clogging them up. They also treat emphysema, COPD, lung cancer, bronchitis, pneumonia, and other respiratory-related conditions.

They often use a variety of imaging tests, including CT scans, X-rays, and MRIs, for diagnosing problems inside the chest cavity because there’s not always an outward sign you’re suffering from something like lung cancer, CAT scan imaging of airways and mediastinum, sputum induction to identify bacterial pathogens that may require antibiotic treatment, and other procedures. A pulmonologist may also use bronchoscopy/bronchoalveolar lavage for diagnosis and other tests like pulmonary function tests.


An allergist is a medical doctor specializing in diagnosing and treating things related to the immune system, such as asthma, allergies, eczema, or hay fever. However, they also treat people with chronic respiratory issues caused by conditions other than their specialty, such as COPD. Their job is to diagnose what’s triggering these conditions by testing them for allergies and other conditions. An allergist will typically conduct an examination, review your symptoms, and ask you about any triggers for those symptoms.

If you have allergies as well as asthma which is more common in children than adults, an allergist may be able to identify what’s triggering your symptoms by doing skin tests with various substances (for example, cat dander, dust mites) or performing allergy testing such as measuring levels of histamine in your blood after exposing you to allergen-containing solutions.

They often use skin prick testing to determine what you’re allergic to before prescribing medications that could help reduce your symptoms of an allergy attack. And sometimes, allergen injections can stop a severe reaction from happening altogether. They prescribe medicines for controlling reactions like antihistamines or nasal steroids, too. Allergists might prescribe medications beyond just antihistamines; not all allergens trigger histamine production.


A general internist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases that affect adults. In addition to their medical training, Internists are trained to provide preventive care for common health problems such as high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, and infections. Internists are also skilled at recognizing asthma symptoms like wheezing or difficulty breathing – Asthma causes inflammation of the airways, making it difficult for people with asthma to breathe normally. This can lead to shortness of breath (dyspnea) and chest tightness (a feeling/pressure) when inhaling deeply, called bronchospasm. Many times this will be triggered by asthma triggers, such as allergens or irritants in the air. An internist can also provide asthma care for children.


A pediatrician is a medical doctor who specializes in the care and treatment of children. A pediatrician can be an allergist, pulmonologist, or another type of specialist that treats asthma symptoms in kids. With a degree in both medicine and pediatrics, pediatricians are considered experts in all aspects of children’s health care. They can diagnose and treat childhood asthma, as well as provide guidance for parents about how to take care of their child’s health best when they’re not around. In addition to diagnosing asthma, they can also treat it with the help of breathing treatments as well as medications that control inflammation or fight infection. They are well-trained and equipped with the knowledge, skills, and experience they need to diagnose any ailment their patients might have.

Respiratory Therapists

Respiratory Therapists are professionals who work and help patients suffering from respiratory problems and breathing-related conditions such as asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), cystic fibrosis, and other lung diseases. Respiratory therapists often assess the patient’s condition before initiating appropriate treatment options. This includes treatments for both chronic and acute conditions that improve health outcomes and reduce healthcare costs. They diagnose and treat patient illnesses by providing physical therapy to the lungs or airways of a person. Respiratory therapists work in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, home health agencies, and physicians’ offices.

From allergists and pulmonologists to pediatricians, internists, and respiratory therapists, there are many options available when it comes to finding someone who will specialize in taking care of people with this condition. If you’re ready to find out how to choose a specialist, it may be time for an appointment with your doctor. They can help guide you through the process of selecting which type of professional is best suited for treating your asthma.

Asthma Specialist in New Jersey. Contact us!

There are several different specialists that you can see for asthma treatment. The most important thing is finding someone who will work with your general practitioner and other medical care team members to provide the best possible care. If you’re still unsure about what type of specialist might be right for you, call Hunterdon Pulmonary & Sleep Associates at (908) 237-1560 today! We’ll help answer any questions or concerns so that we can match you up with a qualified professional based on your needs. You deserve the best quality healthcare available – let’s make it happen together!